Do this core-focused movement series during commercial breaks when you watch TV to target the lower abdominals - the "muffin top"! If you've been to Body Fix lately you'll recognize this one ;)
Perform 10-20 reps at a time for 3-5 sets.
Notes on form:
- Laying on your back, press your lower back toward the floor like you're trying to get rid of the gap between your back and the floor. You can get this done by pulling your belly button back and squeezing your glutes to tuck your pelvis forward.
- You can totally keep your head laying back on the floor for the entire series - just squeeze your glutes super tight so your lower back is protected.
- If you're lifting your head, rest your finger tips just behind your ears and pull your elbows wide so that they're pointing at the walls and not the ceiling.
- When you lower a single leg, squeeze your glute of that side to support your lower back.
- Only lower your legs as far as you can without your lower back arching - that could be 2ft or just 2in off the ground, it's determined by your individual core strength.
- When crunching your knees to your chest, suck in your lower belly like you're getting it out of the way of your legs.
- When you extend your legs back out, squeeze your glutes and your quads, (the front of your thighs), and lock out your knees so that your hip flexors don't strain as you lift your legs back up.
- For the crunch with your feet elevated, lift your chest toward your knees with control - keep your chin lifted, elbows wide, and avoid pulling on your head, (you can even move your fingers off your head for this so that you don't feel the urge to pull).
- BREATHE! Inhale during the crunches, exhale while lowering/lifting legs.