Day 19 has one of my FAVE lower body moves: Lateral Lunges!!
- they work the inner AND outer thigh, along with the booty of your bent leg
- they stretch the inner thigh of your straight leg
- and they challenge your core stability b/c it’s hard AF to keep your posture in check when you’re moving sideways [“laterally”] AND each side of your body is doing all kinds of different stuff [LOL!!]
Here’s what you need to do in order to make sure you’re loading your muscles & not your joints/back so that you’re building strength, not creating tension that could cause you pain:
- the foot that steps side is the knee that bends - the other leg stays completely straight
- as you step side, hinge your hips: booty back, head forward, spine straight
- if you hinge your hips correctly, your upper back shouldn’t round over, nor should your shoulders collapse down in front of your chest
- hinging your hips while keeping your abdominals pulled tight also keeps your lower back from arching & your rib cage from “puffing out” excessively
- sticking your hips back for the hip hinge will also load the heel of your foot that you stepped on - which is great for engaging the booty
- if your knee is poking forward excessively/you feel the majority of your weight shifting into the ball of your foot, stick your butt back farther!!
- drive through the heel of your foot [of the knee that’s bent], to initiate standing back up again. Push with power & move with enough speed to give you the momentum to move that foot back beside the other & stand all the way upright again
Here's the demo video so you can see what I'm talking about:
There you go! Time to give it a try!! Get it, Fit Fam!!